UCT STRATEGIC INITIATIVE IN ARCHIVE AND CURATION
ARC: the Visual University and its Columbarium
ARC: the Visual University and its Columbarium utilises strategic funding from the Vice Chancellor to build on work already being done in the Archive and Public Culture Research Initiative and the Centre for Curating the Archive to extend key aspects of each of these projects across the University in a collaborative fashion.
The Centre for Curating the Archive promotes the visual as a site of knowledge and scholarship, realised in particular through the curation of archives and their digitisation. The Archive and Public Culture Research Initiative advances a transformation agenda through the critical engagement of the inherited (epistemological) archive and the supporting collections.
The Initiative extend outwards from the existing partnership into the wider university, with an effort that seeks to promote the visual as a site of knowledge and scholarship, realised in particular through the curation of archives and their digitisation, in a manner that foregrounds the transformation potential of any such engagement.
Further elements that flow from these primary aims are:
- the promotion and development of the University's archival estate
- enhanced public outreach in the area of archives
- enhanced post-graduate and faculty research opportunities
- enhanced partnerships with other institutions
- the development and maintainance of links with related individual and departmental projects across the University
- assisting in the facilitation and identification of research projects with inter-disciplinary foci
- promoting the agenda of the Strategic Initiative in the university and beyond
Read more about ARC here.